|Job Title: ||Technical Designer - Outdoor Apparel
|Industry Sector: ||Action, Fishing, Fitness, Hunting/Shooting, Other, Outdoor, Snow
|Job Categories: ||Design - Apparel
The Position: Technical Designer - Outdoor Apparel
Are you ready to embark on your next adventure?
If you love adventure and exploration, great gear and apparel, and being around people who share your passions for travel and the outdoors, you'll be in good company at ExOfficio and Marmot. Most importantly, we are down-to-earth individuals who are committed to our communities and sustainability in all that we do, without sacrificing performance, innovation, or quality.
Among the perks of joining our team are a complimentary on-site gym with towel service and fitness classes, regular volunteer opportunities, daily food trucks, a product loaner program to enhance your next adventure (tents, sleeping bags, backpacks), and a generous discount on our gear and apparel. We also believe in celebrating success together whether it be through employee/family gatherings, life events, summer BBQs, or softball leagues. To put it simply, we enjoy life.
So grab your backpack and explore an opportunity with us today!
Technical Designer - Outdoor Apparel
The Technical Designer is accountable for the commercialization of Newell Brands Technical Apparel (NBTA) products within an assigned category/product line in accordance with established development processes, established quality standards and the company timeline. The Technical Designer manages aspects of the development process such as the specification package and development of samples. This position works with cross functional teams throughout the creative process of the product.
Product Fit Approvals
- Creates and maintains product specification packages using Technical Apparel (Marmot/ExO) approved methodology. Interfaces with Design Department to verify details of designs. Works with other departments such as Warranty, Customer Service, Asia QA, etc. (in house and off shore) to answer questions about the assigned category/product line.
- Maintains development documents including specification packages, development tracking report and other documents as required. Uses Adobe Illustrator to develop and revise design documentation. Excel is the software base used for spec packages development and maintenance.
- Approves and communicates specifications - communicates with contractors, technical design and materials staff to develop samples through commercial viability and complete production approval. Communicates with contractors to clarify specifications and/or detail changes during the development process. Serves as secondary contact once lines are in production, working with Sourcing, Design & Production colleagues.
- Organizes and maintains each round of samples for assigned product categories from 1st counter sample through sales samples (SMS), size runs, pre-production samples (PP) and top of production sample (TOP).
- Actively manages professional development.
- Drives apparel fit sessions to maintain consistency and quality of fit across the brand categories from season to season.
- Partners with Designer and Category Manager in fit sessions where necessary, primarily to ensure design lines and end use aspects are considered in overall product category fit scheme.
- Manages and completes projects end to end: design standards, records and library of sketches, samples availability and accuracy.
- Ensures fabrications and designs are good matches, sustains development timeframes based upon industry best practices and adheres vehemently to timelines and deliverables.
Newell Brands (NYSE: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Jostens, Marmot, ExOfficio, Rawlings, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Rubbermaid Commercial Products, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, Waddington and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play.
- University or four-year college degree in fashion design or equivalent industry experience
- A minimum of 1-3 years of experience in apparel technical design and various phases of development
- Practical knowledge of related functions including apparel design, product development, customer service, wholesale sales, merchandising, inventory planning and distribution
- Practical knowledge of product application and functionality preferred
- A passion for the Outdoor Industry and Travel / Adventure a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate in multicultural environments where English is limited
- Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, colleagues and vendors
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking; must apply algebra and geometry concepts
- Calculation of proportions and percentages of a product are critical; must be able to calculate measurements such as length of trims for various sizes and compare previous season to current season fabric usages for margin decreases or maintenance
- Proficiency in all Microsoft programs; intermediate Microsoft Excel skills required
- Proficiency in Adobe Illustrator required
- Knowledge of data base software preferred
- Highly driven, self-motivated and capable of working without significant supervision
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced and evolving environment
- Ability to manage and lead change
- Flexible nature with the ability to react quickly and sometimes creatively to business needs
- Team player
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects
- A sense of humor
- Able to travel internationally and domestically up to 10% of the year
Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.
Job Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Country: United States
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate:
Willing to Travel:
Required Experience Required: None
Job Application Web Site: https://careers.newellbrands.com/us/en/job/NEBRUS100/Technical-Designer-Marmot-and-ExOfficio